Tuesday 24 June 2008

my new rug


A beige cow hide and white architraves lighten the room up a little

My combined birthday/mother's day gift arrived the other day - a beige cow hide. I've been searching for the right rug for the living room for what seems like forever. I did buy my Ezibuy zebra rug, but it was always a temporary solution until I found The One and then it would call Zak's room home. So the search was on: the ones I liked were ridiculously expensive. Or from overseas. Or just didn't seem to exist. So after being bombarded by light-coloured cow hides in pretty much every single issue of Real Living for the past year, I jumped on the bandwagon. And I love it. It's lightened up the room, along with the freshly painted white architraves (I made Steve redo them from the brown.)


The other side - a sheepskin, erm, keeps with the animal theme...

And now for the good news. If you're after one yourself and are a little horrified by the $700 price tags they seem to start at, visit Leffler and get a quote from them. Their hides are $99 per square metre, so mine cost a grand total of $350 - including shipping and GST. A bargain me thinks! And the staff are very lovely, answering all my hundreds of emails and questions with patience and grace. Now I just have to get the curtains back up - that window and door area really lets in the freezing cold night air. Brrr.
x

4 comments:

Kate Kendall said...

On an aside note from the rest of your decor (which I think is fab!) I just don't get what people see in cow hide rugs! Can someone please shed some light on the issue and what the actual advantages of having one are? Why do people like them? Are they practical? I just see them as skinned dead animals on the floor and feel weird about stepping on them... the worst ones are the ones which still have the heads attached!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks beautiful in your room. Breaks up the brown. Steve is awesome :)

belinda graham said...

I know what you mean Kate. Weird because I have one, but I used to hate them. My dad had one and I thought it was the most disgusting thing... Then I found myself asking if he still had it cause I thought I could just steal his! I know they are hardy things and according to my care guide, pretty much any stain can be removed. I'm not sure what like about it - the shape, the colour, the fact it always seems to feature in interiors I find beautiful... So I can't shed some light on it - maybe I'm just a sheep, copying a popular trend! But I do find myself nervous about having certain people over for fear I'll be in their bad books for having a dead animal on my floor (no WAY could I handle a head on there though!!!!!!)

Kate Kendall said...

Haha thanks for that Belinda! I'm usually a sucker for trends too... I'll probably think about getting one in six months!